Ariba Shahid
There is a public figure going through such a rough patch in life and who is now faced with hate speech from everywhere. A figure who holds the record for the fastest ODI century which he made in his first international innings (debut), as well as scoring 32 runs in a single over, the second highest scoring over ever in an ODI! He also holds the distinction of having hit the most number of sixes in the history of ODI cricket. He has taken 48 Test wickets and over 300 in ODIs. Currently he is third on the list of leading wicket takers in the Twenty20 format, behind Saeed Ajmal and Umer Gul of Pakistan, taking 62 wickets from 56 matches. I’m pretty sure you all know him. I hardly believe there’s anyone out there who wouldn’t have recognized him by the clues given. But for the sake of writing this blog post I’m mentioning his name. Yes! I’m talking about “Sahibzada Shahid Khan Afridi” or “Boom Boom Afridi”. The latter must be know by all, the Sahibzada part might not.
The crowd goes wild as soon as they see him, his aggressive batting style, amazing balling and the way he stands to celebrate a wicket. All these features and much more summarize the reasons why people love Afridi. Afridi has played a huge role in cricket and has always been true to his nation. His innings are anticipated for by everyone, even the opponents. And yet, we seem to forget all the glory days as soon as dark clouds spread all over. I agree to the fact that he hasn’t been playing his best with the bat or the ball but that doesn’t mean we should make him a subject to constant criticism. Anyone can go through a time like this; even the best of cricketers but that doesn’t mean we should forget the past and only criticize them. I’m not saying that Afridi should be kept in the team despite his bad performance. I agree to the fact that he should only play WHEN he is fit enough and is an asset to the team and can contribute to the team with a successful inning or a couple of wickets whilst keeping the economy low while balling. But I also advocate the fact that we shouldn’t make him a subject to constant criticism as soon as the cards aren’t in his favor. Do you actually think that a player as patriotic as Shahid would play bad on purpose? I think not.
We need to stop the criticism; we need to be with our hero going through a bad experience. We need to be there for Afridi. If only, we posted “Afridi- we love you statuses” on Facebook rather than statuses with hate speech to him, just because of a few bad performances. I can honestly say that the number of time he’s played brilliantly is many times more than the bad performances. Then why should we let a few bad performances get the best of our love for Afridi? It’s a point to ponder on, and high time for us to think about our attitude towards people who we immediately forsake as soon as they go through a bad time in life.
A1C4
The feeling of failing, loosing what you value, the people who love you, going through a rough patch in life and much more is enough pain in itself. Yet, it never rains, it pours. Despite all the tough times, to make matters even worse lots of people leave you behind during this time. This may be because of the reason that they have someone better than you or they were only your friends during your success.
There is a public figure going through such a rough patch in life and who is now faced with hate speech from everywhere. A figure who holds the record for the fastest ODI century which he made in his first international innings (debut), as well as scoring 32 runs in a single over, the second highest scoring over ever in an ODI! He also holds the distinction of having hit the most number of sixes in the history of ODI cricket. He has taken 48 Test wickets and over 300 in ODIs. Currently he is third on the list of leading wicket takers in the Twenty20 format, behind Saeed Ajmal and Umer Gul of Pakistan, taking 62 wickets from 56 matches. I’m pretty sure you all know him. I hardly believe there’s anyone out there who wouldn’t have recognized him by the clues given. But for the sake of writing this blog post I’m mentioning his name. Yes! I’m talking about “Sahibzada Shahid Khan Afridi” or “Boom Boom Afridi”. The latter must be know by all, the Sahibzada part might not.
The crowd goes wild as soon as they see him, his aggressive batting style, amazing balling and the way he stands to celebrate a wicket. All these features and much more summarize the reasons why people love Afridi. Afridi has played a huge role in cricket and has always been true to his nation. His innings are anticipated for by everyone, even the opponents. And yet, we seem to forget all the glory days as soon as dark clouds spread all over. I agree to the fact that he hasn’t been playing his best with the bat or the ball but that doesn’t mean we should make him a subject to constant criticism. Anyone can go through a time like this; even the best of cricketers but that doesn’t mean we should forget the past and only criticize them. I’m not saying that Afridi should be kept in the team despite his bad performance. I agree to the fact that he should only play WHEN he is fit enough and is an asset to the team and can contribute to the team with a successful inning or a couple of wickets whilst keeping the economy low while balling. But I also advocate the fact that we shouldn’t make him a subject to constant criticism as soon as the cards aren’t in his favor. Do you actually think that a player as patriotic as Shahid would play bad on purpose? I think not.
![]() |
| When darkness looms over our hero's fortune we stand by him, like true patriots! |
We need to stop the criticism; we need to be with our hero going through a bad experience. We need to be there for Afridi. If only, we posted “Afridi- we love you statuses” on Facebook rather than statuses with hate speech to him, just because of a few bad performances. I can honestly say that the number of time he’s played brilliantly is many times more than the bad performances. Then why should we let a few bad performances get the best of our love for Afridi? It’s a point to ponder on, and high time for us to think about our attitude towards people who we immediately forsake as soon as they go through a bad time in life.
The only purpose of this blog post was to rekindle the love for Afridi in countless hearts despite his bad performances and to give you all food for thought over our attitude towards people. And for all of you who think this post is biased and is highly in favor of Afridi, indeed it is and because of the prime reason that he is a HERO!

2 comments:
He must be proud having such amazing fans...... good job :)
Well he is a Hero :)
Post a Comment